MaceyThompson

Macey Thompson's Tales

I have recently become obsessed with collecting books for my future elementary classroom. I look forward to creating an online library of some of my favorites and planning how I will use each book in my classroom.

Stand Tall Molly Lou Melon

Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon - Patty Lovell, David Catrow

Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon is on a 3.5 AR level, but I would not hesitate to use this text in a lower elementary classroom also. The text is centered around a young girl, Molly Lou Melon, who embraces her imperfections because her grandmother always said encouraged her. Because of her confidence in herself, Molly Lou Melon is able to befriend the boy who is bullying her by the end of the story. At the very end of the story, Molly Lou Melon writes a letter to her grandmother to say,"I wanted to tell you that everything you told me was exactly right!" In a younger grade, I would use this text to help children embrace their imperfections and uniqueness. However, in an upper grade, I would use this text as an opportunity to have students write thank you letters to someone who has inspired him or her.